my life

Monday, October 18, 2004

What is Death?

I’ve just finished `Tuesdays with Morrie’ by Mitch Albom. It is a true story about a dying teacher (who had ALS amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, a disease with the neurological system) who once again teach his student, the meaning of life.

I’m so touched by this book, it really makes me start to think of death, not in a sad way, but on the spiritual way. Why are we afraid of death? It seems like everyone never thought about it, and we Chinese particular think it as something which is bad, and Morrie can embrace it without any hesitation and fear. A dying man should be mourning on his bad luck, instead he reached out to the world to help others about their own problem. Going on the national tv, telling others to love each other, all sorts of things that we lost on our journey to get the materialistic things in our life. We’ve lost the ability to cherish the little things that we had in our life, always on the go to get `better’ things. How sad. This is the time when I start to think: what if I just die tomorrow? How would it be? What have I done in my life? Will I ever regret what I’ve done? Why are we so obsessed with all the humanly things that we cannot take with us when we die? We are the same, every living thing, we were born and some day we’ll die. There’s no difference if we’re a flower or we’re human, we just die when it’s our time.

I’ve learned that we should appreciate the small things in our life. How we should feel lucky we should just with the health that we have. We should reached out our hands to help others, to fill up our spiritual side. I’m thinking a lot of ways that could make me a better person. The first thing, do I have a teacher like that? Those that I remember much are the ones from my secondary school, that have been very kind to me, and not only teach me to study, but also the true meaning of life. I appreciated that. Well, will go back old school when I’m going back, or I’ll just go back teach someday, temporary I mean.

Should get one copy of this book. I’ve borrowed it from a friend, and now I’m eagerly waiting to go to MPH and find one.

1 Comments:

At 1:25 AM, Blogger sze said...

let's go back to AMC together next holidays to teach ;) I've spoken to Ms Foong to teach in May/June ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home