my life

Thursday, January 27, 2005

The kiasu-ism of malaysian chinese

“Har, no chairs ar?” “You sit on the floor lor!” “ha ha ha ha” “%#@*&% you sit on the floor lar, i take your place!”

This is the conversation of some of the students in the same class as me just now. Then bang bang bang, they took some chairs from the back of the room, and just squeeze in the aisle of the room, which is directly in front of the lecturer and between 2 rows of chairs. It is like, do they need to be THAT kiasu? I’m sitting on the second row, there’re still a few places beside and behind me, do they need to squeeze in between a little place like that, not one, but 5 or 6 of them! We have to move to the side for them, and they mess up the place, which later we seniors will get the blame! They NEVER rearrange back the chairs, and we’re the one who do that. Sure they might say they need to record down the lecture (which I have never done in my whole uni life!), but they can just pass the recorder to front and sit a little further at the back, beside it’s only 30 of us in the class. I can’t express my feelings. I just feel as university students, we can’t be that selfish and rude. Sure they’re smart and the lecturer’s favourites, but then I don’t really admire them. With this kind of attitude, it’s hard for me to like them. Do hope that I won’t turn into someone like that, I admit sometimes I’m very kiasu, but to a certain extend. I’m still a little bit more considerate. I will still take care of the feelings of others. They have been like that since the first lecture during October, and I think they won’t change a bit. It’s very degrading, to see the students from the so-called most prestige university in this country act like that. What to do? Maybe it’s a Chinese thingy. I’m a Chinese too! Therefore I must be very kiasu. haha

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home